Infrastructure Design Manual
City of Ballarat uses the latest Infrastructure Design Manual, which outlines our engineering/infrastructure standards for roads, drainage and other structures.
The manual is used to make sure minimum design criteria are met for design and construction of infrastructure, whether it is constructed by City of Ballarat or a developer.
Landscape Design Manual
The manual is a guide and reference for landscape architects and designers to prepare landscape plans for submission to the City of Ballarat, by landscape contractors during landscape construction, and by developer and City of Ballarat representatives in the field during the landscape construction and maintenance.
The manual is to help ensure landscape works meet accepted industry standards, and sound horticultural and sustainable management practices.
Street furniture and park furniture guidelines
Download the Street and Park Furniture Guidelines.
The Street and Park Furniture Guidelines form part of the City of Ballarat's Urban Design Manual.
The guidelines are a technical working document for City of Ballarat staff that can be added to and updated as new furniture items are developed, or existing ones modified.
Current infrastructure standard drawings
There are two types of standard drawings used in Ballarat, Infrastructure Design Manual standard drawings and the City of Ballarat’s standard infrastructure drawings.
In most new development sites, the Infrastructure Design Manual standard drawings will be the drawing set used for infrastructure.
For development in existing urban areas, the Infrastructure Design Manual takes priority over the standard infrastructure drawings, unless existing City of Ballarat infrastructure prevents the use of the Infrastructure Design Manual standards.
City of Ballarat standard infrastructure drawings
- Index 1 - Concrete structures, drains, kerbs, footpaths and landscaping
- Index 2 - Miscellaneous, pits, roads, street furniture and traffic management
- SD-C1 - Indented storage bay for one bus
- SD-C2 - Semi-trailer and heavy vehicle access for industrial properties
- SD-C3 - Concrete endwall (bluestone channel)
- SD-C4-1 - Pedestrian kerb ramp detail (corrugated profile)
- SD-C4-2 - Pedestrian kerb ramp detail (corrugated profile)
- SD-C4-3 - Pedestrian kerb ramp detail (corrugated profile)
- SD-C4-4 - Pedestrian kerb ramp detail (corrugated profile)
- SD-C5 - Light reinforced concrete bridge (2-tonne wheel load capacity)
- SD-C6 - Bus shelter DDA layout
- SD-D1 - Plinths over services
- SD-D2-1 - Sub soil drainage behind kerb and channel
- SD-D2-2 - Sub soil drainage below kerb and channel
- SD-D3 - Concrete spoon drain
- SD-D4-1 - Bluestone pitcher channel "3 pitcher standard"
- SD-D4-2 - Bluestone pitcher channel
- SD-D5-1 - Roof discharge dissipator application one
- SD-D5-2 - Roof discharge dissipator application two
- SD-D6 - 900mm Dia R.C.P. to bluestone creek connection details
- SD-D7-1 - Private drains 150mm and 225mm connection to kerb and channel
- SD-D7-2 - Private drains 150mm and 225mm connection to bluestone channel
- SD-D7-3 - Private drains 90mm, 150mm and 225mm connection to bluestone channel
- SD-D8-1 - Trench details for reinforced concrete pipes
- SD-D8-2 - Authority trench details
- SD-D8-3 - Trench details for R.C. box culverts
- SD-D9 - House connection drain "to main outfall drain"
Kerbs and footpaths
- SD-K1 - Standard kerb sections
- SD-K2 - Standard asphalt footpath section
- SD-K3-1 - Standard footpath concrete
- SD-K3-2 - Standard concrete footpath section for subdivisions
- SD-K3-3 - Standard footpath helix concrete
- SD-K3-4 - Standard footpath subdivision helix concrete
- SD-K4-1 - Standard concrete footpath section with spoon drain
- SD-K4-2 - Standard concrete footpath section with spoon drain for subdivisions
- SD-K5-1 - Streetscape kerb and bluestone channel
- SD-K5-2 - Streetscape kerb (crossing details)
- SD-K5-3 - Streetscape kerb and channel
- SD-L1 - Lawn areas typical application for centre medians and roundabouts
- SD-L2 - Advanced tree planting detail - Type A
- SD-L3 - Advanced tree planting detail - Type B
- SD-L4 - Advanced tree planting detail - Type C
- SD-L5 - Planting details garden beds, tube stock and native grasses
- SD-L6 - Irrigation details
- SD-L7 - Subgrade, topsoil and mulching detail
- SD-L8 - Timber bollard detail
- SD-M1 - Typical paving detail (pedestrian areas)
- SD-M2 - Vehicular crossing to bluestone channel
- SD-M3 - Single lane slow point
- SD-M4 - Roll top fencing
- SD-M5 - Full rubber guide post
- SD-M6 - Standard sign for private roads
- SD-P1-1 - Precast side entry pit concrete cover 900mm inlet
- SD-P1-2 - Insitu side entry pit concrete cover 900mm inlet
- SD-P2-1 - Precast side entry pit concrete cover 1.8m inlet
- SD-P2-2 - Insitu side entry pit concrete cover 1.8m inlet
- SD-P3-1 - Precast unhaunched pits concrete cover
- SD-P3-2 - Insitu unhaunched pits concrete cover
- SD-P4-1 - Precast haunched pits concrete cover
- SD-P4-2 - Insitu haunched pits
- SD-P5 - Precast drainage pit 300mmx300mm
- SD-P6 - 900mmx600mm grated junction pit to suit spoon drain
- SD-P7 - Double side entry pit 2100mmx750mm with grated lid
- SD-P8 - Side entry pit with flume
- SD-P9 - Concrete spoon drain and pits for reverse fall nature strips
- SD-P10-1 - Precast junction pit concrete cover
- SD-P10-2 - Insitu junction pit concrete cover
- SD-R1-1 - Standard road cross section for collector road
- SD-R1-2 - Standard road cross section for link road
- SD-R2 - Pavement joint lapping base layer
- SD-R3 - Typical pavement profiles
- SD-R4 - Typical cement stabilised pavement profiles
- SD-S1-1 - Plan view heritage barrier for bluestone channel
- SD-S1-2 - Elevation plan heritage barrier for bluestone channel
- SD-S1-3 - Connection details for heritage barrier for bluestone channel
- SD-S1-4 - Cast iron boss detail for heritage barrier for bluestone barrier
- SD-S1-5 - Spiral bracket detail for heritage barrier for bluestone channel
- SD-S2 - Timber bollard detail (redgum)
- SD-S3 - Sign post detail
- SD-S3-1 - Street sign detail
- SD-S4 - Treated pine post and pail
- SD-S5 - Bus shelter kew style
- SD-T1 - Roundabout details
- SD-T2 - Statcon line marking details
- SD-T3 - Flat top road hump
- SD-T4 - Watts profile speed hump and line marking detail
- SD-T5 - Concrete precast speed ramp and line marking detail
The City of Ballarat has taken every care to ensure the information shown on these drawings is accurate, however some variations from records may exist, and complete accuracy cannot be guaranteed.