Burning off

Burning dry grass

Fire restrictions

Ballarat’s 2021-22 Fire Danger Period ended on 4 April 2022.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) declares Fire Danger Periods and Total Fire Bans. Confirm restrictions by visiting CFA warning and restrictions.

See what you can and can't do during the Fire Danger Period.

Burning off outside the Fire Danger Period

Can I burn-off inside a Fire Danger Period?

Permits to Burn cannot be issued during Fire Danger Periods unless it is for broad-acre burning of stubble and grass for farming purposes.

Contact Ballarat’s Fire Prevention Officer for more information on 5320 5500.

View the fire permits Victoria website site for more information.

Emergency preparation works permit

Victoria's bushfire season will start soon. This means that people living in Ballarat will need to start bushfire preparedness works on their properties soon.

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne or a local council area in lockdown and own property in Ballarat, you can use contractors or a nominated representative to prepare your property for you.

If you can't use contractors, you can apply for a travel permit to do fire preparedness work at your property. You will need to apply for a letter of support from City of Ballarat to travel to the region to complete the fire preparation works yourself, following the conditions set out by the Victorian Government.

You will have 72 hours to complete fire preparedness works at your Ballarat property and you must follow the government restrictions set out for your primary residence while you are in Ballarat.

To receive a letter of support to travel to Ballarat, your property must be partially or fully inside a Bushfire Management Overlay or other hazard overlay.

Permits will be processed as quickly as possible. Where a site inspection is needed, permits may take up one week to be processed.

Page topics