Roads and streets

Image of street signs

We maintain more than 1200 kilometres of sealed roads and 390 kilometres of unsealed roads within our municipality.

Who is responsible for our roads?

VicRoads looks after freeways and arterial roads (excluding service roads, pathways and roadsides of arterial roads).

We look after municipal roads within Ballarat, such as your local neighbourhood streets.

If there is an issue with a road and you don't know who looks after it, you can contact our Customer Service team.

You can also view the VicRoads interactive map of declared roads.

Visit the Roadworks FAQ for more information.

How can I request a road be sealed?

When deciding whether to seal an unsealed road, we look at the traffic volume and speed, what the maintenance levels of the road are and would be, and what types of vehicles are using the road.

You can submit a request to seal an unsealed road to: 
Infrastructure Planning
City of Ballarat
PO Box 655
Ballarat VIC 3353

Do I need a permit?

You may need a permit to work in the road reserve. Find out about Works Within Roads Reserve.

I want to request a place be named or renamed

Any person or organisation may ask for a place be named or renamed within our municipality. 

Visit our MySay website for more information on our place naming process.

I want to view City of Ballarat's Road Management Plan