Before applying for a planning permit
Determine if you need a planning permit, and if so, ensure you have all your information ready to lodge an application.
Do I need a permit?
There are a number of different factors that determine whether or not you need a planning permit. These include, but are not limited to:
- the types of works you want to do (renovations/a new house/two or more houses/a new cafe)
- where the property is located (what zone it's in)
- how big the property is
- whether the property is in an area that may possibly flood (is it in a land subject to inundation overlay?)
- whether your property is adjacent to a major road
- whether your property is in an area where heritage controls apply
- if you're wanting to run a business from home
- if you want to subdivide land.
If you want to do some research, the VicPlan website is a great resource. It allows you to look up your property and find out how it fits into local planning requirements.
Doing my homework
When turning your ideas into reality consider the following:
- Download a Planning Property Report to identify the planning requirements including the zone and any overlays
- Look at the Ballarat Planning Scheme to confirm if you need a planning permit
- Determine if your proposal is eligible for a fast-track process through VicSmart
- View our checklists to confirm the information you might need to provide with an application
- Check the Bushire Prone Areas map and understand the implications of building in bushfire prone areas.
- Prepare initial plans for your proposal
- Discuss plans with your neighbours
- Consider getting advice from a professional planning consultant. Note – Council cannot recommend a professional planning consultant.
- request a pre-application meeting with one of our planners
- Call 5320 5640 if you have any questions
When preparing to lodge your application:
- Order a copy of your Title from Landata
- Get your plans drawn up by a professional architect or draftsperson
- Create electronic versions of your paperwork as we prefer electronic lodgement
I want to seek pre-application advice
Pre-application meetings are currently not being offered whilst we implement improvements to the service. In the meantime, you can contact the planning officer on duty on 5320 5107.
I want to seek written advice as to whether a planning permit is required
Request written advice when you need to clarify whether a planning permit is required for your project.
Before applying, you'll need to ensure you have the following information:
- an electronic version of your plans
- a copy of your title including any relevant covenants and agreements
- the cost is outlined in our fee schedule.
I want to request a copy of a planning permit or endorsed plans
To get copies of existing planning permits or endorsed plans, you'll need to apply. Before applying, you will need to have the following information:
- property address
- planning permit reference number
The cost of an application depends on what you're planning. The factors that influence your fee include:
- the type of permit (planning, subdivision, covenant removal)
- the cost of the development
- in some cases, the type of property (single dwelling or multi-dwelling)
A full list of planning related fees can be found in our fee schedule.