Syringes and sharps
Safe sharps disposal
Sharps must be stored in an approved sharps container and delivered to the Environmental Health Unit for disposal (25 Armstrong Street South, Ballarat). A free replacement container will be provided.
This is available for the community and not for commercial businesses/activities. If you are a business using sharps and need help for disposal and management, call our Environmental Health team on 5320 5702.
Syringe bin locations
We have safe syringe bins in our public toilets which are regularly checked and emptied. Find a public toilet in Ballarat.
If you find a used syringe on public land in Ballarat, call our Customer Service team on 5320 5500 to arrange safe collection and disposal. You will need to let us know the exact syringe location.
Syringes on private property are the responsibility of the owner.
Safe disposal of needles and syringes
- Tell children never to pick up needles and syringes.
- Place used needles only in a suitable sharps container.
- Store the container in areas that are child and animal proof.
- Pick up the syringe by the blunt end with gloves or tongs.
- Toss syringes loose in the bin.
- Clip needles with scissors.
- Dispose of syringes in the toilet.
- Place syringes in aluminium cans or glass containers.
- Place the sharps container in the bin. This puts our waste collection workers at risk.