Accessing Government Funded Care Services

There are diverse ways to access support at home that can be provided through government funding

A younger and an older woman in the kitchen preparing food together.

Assistance for Veterans

You may be able to access some assistance at home if you have a Veteran healthcare card. 

The Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) Program offers some help so you can live independently. It is not for complex or high-level care needs. If you have long-term, high-level care needs, you may be referred to Community Nursing.

Community nursing (CN) offers clinical and personal care services at home. The program employs qualified nurses and support staff. Services can include; help with medication, wound care, hygiene, showering and dressing.


Aged under 65 years

The Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC PYP) and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) offer support for people under 65 years of age who require assistance.


The Home and Community Care Program for Younger People provides support for people with disabilities whose capacity for independent living is at risk. 

Services are targeted to younger people with moderate, severe, or profound disabilities and their unpaid carers. Not everyone who is eligible can receive an immediate service. 

This service is funded by the Victorian State Government.  

The local provider in Ballarat is Mecwacare and they can be contacted on 5333 0900 or to see if you may be eligible.  


The NDIS provides funding to eligible people with a disability to gain more time with family and friends, greater independence, access to new skills, jobs, or volunteering in their community, and an improved quality of life.  

The NDIS also connects anyone with disability to services in their community.

This includes connections to doctors, community groups, sporting clubs, support groups, libraries, and schools, as well as providing information about what support is provided by each state and territory government.

To see if you may be eligible for NDIS, you can use the online eligibility checker, contact the National Contact Centre on 1800 800 110 or email


Aged over 65 years

My Aged Care under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) or Home Care Packages offers assistance for people 65 years and over (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people).

If you are on a low income, homeless or at risk of being homeless, and aged 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), please call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 to discuss your situation.  

To register for an assessment, you can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or use the online eligibility checker.  


Assistance for Indigenous Older People

As part of the Aged Care reforms, the Federal Government is funding programs to ensure First Nations people aged 50 years or over can access quality, culturally appropriate aged care services.  

It’s important to find aged care services that respect your culture as well as meet your care needs. If you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, and 50 years or older, there are services that provide specialised care.

Programs such as the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program, the remote and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Aged Care Service Development Assistance Panel, and the Elder Care Support program a just a few. 

Through My Aged Care, you can find local providers who specialise in services for First Nations people. 

To register for an assessment, you can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or use the online eligibility checker.