Electronic waste, or eWaste, is any item with a plug, battery or power cord that is no longer working or wanted. It covers a whole range of items from phones and refrigerators to fluorescent light tubes.
Where can I take my eWaste?
All types of eWaste can be taken to the Ballarat Transfer Station.
Residential amounts of televisions and National eWaste Scheme products* are accepted free of charge. A small cost applies to larger items and commercial loads of televisions and small items. See our transfer station waste prices for details.
Small batteries, mobile phones and light bulbs may be taken to the Phoenix Building, 25 Armstrong Street South, Ballarat Central, free of charge.
Small batteries, mobile phones and other small electronics items such as keyboards, computer mice and radios are accepted free of charge at the Ballarat Central Library, 178 Doveton Street North, and Wendouree Library, Stockland Shopping Centre, Gillies Street North.
*National eWaste Scheme items:
- all televisions, such as CRTs, plasma, LCD and projection televisions
- personal computers
- laptops, notebooks, servers, server cabinets
- palmtops and tablets
- computer monitors
- parts for personal computers, for example internal hard drives, motherboards, cards, internal power supplies, CPUs, DVD and CD drives
- computer peripherals, for example mice, keyboards, joysticks, game pads, scanners and web cameras
- modems, switches, routers, and hubs
- printers and digital printers, for example ink-jet, dot matrix, laser printers, and multi-functional devices, digital copiers.
What is eWaste?
eWaste includes the following:
- Washing Machines
- Electric fans
- Air conditioners
- Coffee machines
- Hair dryers
IT and TV equipment
- Mobile phones
- Remote controls
- Fluorescent lamps
- High intensity
- Discharge lamps
- Compact fluorescent lamps
Electrical and electronic tools
- Sewing machines
- Lawn mowers
Toys, leisure and sport equipment
- Electric trains and racing cars
- Hand-held video games
- Musical instruments
- Medical devices
- Automatic dispensers/thermostats