The City of Ballarat Transfer Station can take green waste, hard waste, recycling, and chemical waste. The Transfer Station remains open and is accepting cash payments again, along with vouchers from residents and card-based payments.
Public holidays: 10am-4pm.
Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Anzac Day and Good Friday: closed.
119 Gillies Street South, Alfredton.
How much does it cost to take things to the tip?
Items that are fee free to drop off
You can bring these items to the Transfer Station for free:
- DrumMuster (drums must be triple rinsed)
- Fluorescent lights
- Gas cylinders under 9kgs
- Household and motor oil
- Whitegoods (except fridges and air conditioners)
Sort your load
Clearly separating your load can lower your fees and is much quicker to unload.
Sort your materials into:
- Glass bottles and jars
- HDPE, PET, and PVC bottles and containers
- Cardboard (flattened)
Our resale shed
Our resale shed is temporarily closed due to government restrictions.
Do you have old items in usable condition?
Items such as bikes, play equipment, and other garage sale items can be resold, saving them from landfill.
Call our Transfer Station team on 5334 2621 to discuss drop-offs and purchases.
Chemical waste disposal
Detox your home is a safe, free and easy-to-use service to dispose of highly toxic, unwanted household chemicals such as solvents, poisons and cleaning products. The Transfer Station is a permanent drop-off site for the detox your home program.
Please note: Ballarat Transfer Station currently does not accept pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and nail polish remover.
What you cannot bring to the Transfer Station
We can’t take these items at the Transfer Station:
- Chemicals used by businesses for industrial and commercial purposes. Contact Cleanaway to help with removing commercial chemicals.
- Farm chemicals. ChemClear can help you dispose of farm chemicals.
- Asbestos. Contact our Customer Service team for help with asbestos.
- Ammunition. Victoria Police has information on how to dispose of your ammunition.
I’m a commercial business, can I use the Transfer Station?
Yes, small commercial businesses can use the Ballarat Transfer Station.
For industries looking to use our landfill site, call Customer Service to organise a disposal.