Petitions are a formal written request, signed by multiple people, and which express concern about an issue and request us to take action. Any person can table a petition to be presented to Council.
For the petition to be valid and acceptable, our Meeting Procedure Local Law must be adhered to.
If you wish to lodge a petition, download the petition template.
If you have any questions regarding a petition, call our Governance team on 5320 5875 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How should a petition look?
- Petitions should be written (not in pencil), typed or printed and contain the request of the petitioners.
- The reason for the petition must be stated on each page the signatures are collected.
- Every signatory’s full name, address and signature must be clearly stated
- The petitions should consist of single-sided pieces of paper and must not be pasted, stapled, pinned or otherwise affixed to any other piece of paper
How do I lodge my petition to a Council meeting?
- Provide the original petition to a Councillor of your ward who will table it at the next appropriate Council meeting or post it to Council Officers at PO Box 665 Ballarat, Vic 3353
What happens when the petition is received by Council?
- After the petition is received, it will be included in the agenda for an appropriate Council meeting
- After it has been formally received by Council, it will either be referred to the Chief Executive Officer for consideration and response or referred to the Chief Executive Officer for a report to a future Council meeting