Our guide to recycling
The City of Ballarat aims to reduce waste to landfill by 65% as part of the waste minimisation strategy.
View the Waste Guide for a list of what items go in each bin.
Up to 16% of our recycling loads are contaminated with incorrect items.
By knowing what to recycle we can all:
- Decrease recycled items going to landfill
- Reduce costs to council and all ratepayers
- Avoid contamination charges
- Help the environment
Visit Get it Right Bin Night for details on what can be recycled.
Simple habits in the household can make the recycling industry more efficient and sustainable.
In Ballarat it is best to prepare recyclables by:
- Leaving tops on bottles and jars
- Rinse out recyclables before putting them in the bin
- Place items loose in the recycling bin - don't pack them in plastic bags or tie up bundles of newspapers
- Break up small cardboard boxes before putting them in the bin.
Sustainability Victoria have details on what you can recycle.