Event planning

Customers being served by food trucks

Using public space?

An event manager is responsible for planning and delivering an event. If you plan to use public space to run an event, they will need to submit an event application.

Complete the event application form online

What is a public space?

  • Road, street, footpath, mall, court or alley
  • Public garden, reserve, or other place of public recreation
  • Sports grounds and facilities
  • Waterways
  • Open space to which the public have or are permitted access
  • Crown Land
  • Land owned by or managed by Council

Does the number of people attending matter?

Your event will require a permit, no matter the size. Knowing how many people plan to attend your event will help us ensure their safety.

Smaller events may only need a Local Law Activity Permit.

Depending on the location of your event and the number of people expected to attend, you may need to fill out a crowded places assessment guide form and return it as part of your Event Application. This is determined on a case-by-case basis so please contact us to discuss your requirements.  

How to apply 

  1. Complete the event application form.
  2. Include your supporting documents with your application form.

Small temporary activities

You will need a permit to use City of Ballarat land for small temporary activities.

Small temporary activities:

  • have less than 100 people in attendance
  • use minimal equipment

Larger events will need an event permit.

What activities need a permit?

Activities such as:

  • fundraising / raffle ticket sellers
  • highway intersection collection
  • walkathons / fun runs
  • sausage sizzles
  • advertising signs
  • recreational activity for commercial gain

How to apply

  1. Complete the permit application
  2. Email your application and evidence of public liability insurance to info@ballarat.vic.gov.au

You should apply at least 14 days before the activity.

More detailed information is available in the Community Local Law 2017

Public liability insurance

We hold an insurance policy that offers $20 million liability insurance protection for uninsured casual users of Council owned facilities where a hire agreement is in place. Subject to a $250 excess for any claims payable by the hiree. 

Community and not for profit groups and individuals who do not already hold a public liability policy will be automatically covered under Council's Community Liability Policy at no cost. This coverage does not extend however to buskers, stall holders or entities who are hiring Council facilities for commercial purposes. Those entities will need to provide evidence of their own public liability policy or apply through Council for coverage at a fee of $33.00.

Follow this link to apply for public liability insurance.

Place of Public Entertainment (PoPE)

A Place of Public Entertainment permit is generally required for events that need to temporarily occupy a building or public space. An occupancy permit is required before an event can go ahead.

How do I apply for a permit?

  1. Complete the PoPE occupancy permit application
  2. Return your completed application to our Customer Service team.

Do I need an occupancy permit?

Read the frequently asked questions and fill our the PoPE checklist. You can also view the Building Act for more detailed information.