How to apply
Before making your application
- Talk to a planner
- View Ballarat Planning Scheme to check the planning controls that apply to your property
- Talk to your neighbours about your plans
- Consider getting professional advice
Book a pre-application meetings
Call 5320 5640 to make a booking. Meetings are held at the Customer Service Centre on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. We will note your contact details, subject site address and a brief proposal description. Email your concept plans to firstname.lastname@example.org a week prior to the meeting.
Application is lodged and received
We will send you an acknowledgement letter with our Town Planners' contact details.
We will help calculate fees. See our Summary of Planning and Subdivision Fees for a detailed breakdown.
We check your application
After checking your application:
- We may request further information.
- We may request referrals.
Your application is advertised
If required, your application will be advertised for at least 14 days.
This advertising usually involves:
- a letter to your neighbours
- a sign on the site of the property
Your planning application will be advertised online. People who are affected may submit an objection and view the application.
We assess your application
- Consider any objections that have been raised
- Prepare a report to explain the decision made
- Consider any referral comments
- Assess planning scheme provisions
We make a decision
The decision on your planning application will be either:
- Approval of a planning permit
- Notice of decision to grant a planning permit
- Notice of refusal to grant a planning permit
Your application may be reviewed by VCAT
A review by VCAT is undertaken only if an application has been made by:
- Permit applicant against conditions or refusal
- Objector against notice of decision
If you have a question or want to check the status on your planning permit application, you can get in touch with us.