Maternal and Child Health
Maternal and Child Health and Immunisation services are continuing during the current COVID-19 response period.
Please note: The childhood immunisation clinic has been relocated from Sebastopol Library to Bonshaw Early Learning Centre.
As a protective measure, City of Ballarat Maternal and Child Health (MCH) and Immunisation programs have been modified to ensure the ongoing good health of community and our staff. Both programs have implemented health screening questions prior to you attending City of Ballarat facilities.
Please do not attend your appointment if either yourself or someone in your household is unwell. Phone 5320 5720 if you need to discuss this further or reschedule an appointment.
COVID-19 Maternal and Child Health Services
City of Ballarat Maternal & Child Health (MCH) programs continue to be reviewed to ensure community and staff safety with respect to COVID-19. It is a priority to preserve essential MCH services for families with very young babies, and for families who require additional support.
• Following telephone discussion, our nurse will provide an opportunity to attend on-site for a face-to-face child assessment.
Home visits and consultations
The MCH service will contact you when you are discharged from hospital to arrange a home visit.
After your first home visit, there will be nine consultations at key stages, including 2, 4 and 8 weeks; 4, 8, 12 and 18 months; and 2 and 3.5 years of age.
The nurse will review your child's health, growth and development, including hearing, vision, speech and fine and gross motor skills. At each nurse consultation you can discuss any concerns you may have relating to your child, and your early parenting experience.
Information can be provided on parenting and child-related topics including:
- infant feeding and nutrition
- sleep and settling strategies
- child behaviour and development
- family health and wellbeing
- support for the emotional wellbeing of new parents
Maternal and Child Health centres
Call 5320 5720 to make an appointment.
Appointments are available at our six centres on weekdays:
- Ballarat: Girrabanya, 11B Steinfeld Street, Ballarat Central
- Wendouree: Corner Gillies and Norman Streets, Wendouree
- Buninyong: 208 Learmonth St, Buninyong
- Sebastopol: 183 Albert St, Sebastopol
- Bonshaw: 284 Morgan St, Sebastopol
- Lucas: 160 Eleanor Drive, Lucas -temporarily unavailable
Appointments are also available at the Girrabanya Centre on the second Saturday of each month from 9am to 12pm.
Drop-in Maternal and Child Health services (temporarily suspended)
No appointment is needed to use the MCH nurse drop in/open clinic services at:
- Parent Place, 39 Sturt St, Wednesdays 10am-2.30pm (temporarily suspended)
- Wendouree Children’s Centre, corner Gillies and Norman Streets, Fridays 9am-noon (temporarily suspended)
To access Maternal and Child Health services, visits by appointment remain available - please contact the City of Ballarat's Families and Children’s administration team on 5320 5720 to access this option.