The history of the Ballarat Aerodrome dates back to the 1930’s when aviation activities commenced on an unmade airstrip on the Ballarat West Town Common, 7km northwest of the Ballarat city centre. In 1934, a corrugated iron hangar was constructed on the site, which formalised the site as an aerodrome.
In 1940 at the outset of World War II, the Department of Air established the RAAF No.1 Wireless Air Gunners School at the present aerodrome site. The peak strength of the school was reached in May 1942 when there were 41 officers and 1,918 airmen in residence.
When the RAAF vacated the site in 1961, the Department of Air offered the Aerodrome to the then Shire of Ballarat under the terms of the Aerodrome Local Ownership Plan. The Aerodrome became a licensed aerodrome under this plan when licence number 43 was issued to the Shire of Ballarat on 11 September 1962.
Nowadays, the Ballarat Aerodrome is owned and operated by the City of Ballarat and is an important asset to the Ballarat community.