Burning Off

Burning dry grass

Fire Restrictions

The Country Fire Authority declares Fire Danger Periods and Total Fire Bans. Confirm restrictions by visiting CFA warning and restrictions.


Can I burn-off inside a Fire Danger Period?

During declared Fire Danger Periods the CFA requires you obtain a permit to burn.
Permits are only issued for broad-acre burning of stubble and grass for farming purposes.


Burning off outside the Fire Danger Period

You need a permit to burn material in Ballarat outside of the fire danger period.
Visit eServices to apply for a local law permit.

If you have access to a green waste collection you will not be eligible.

Burning commercial or industrial waste is not permitted.

Read How to burn off safely for details.

Page topics