Food Premises


New Food Businesses

All premises that sell food or drink to the public must register or notify Council’s Environmental Health Unit prior to commencing trade. Other Units including Planning, Building and Local Laws should also be consulted prior to trade to determine what permits are required.

All food businesses are categorised into four classes of premises. The first step of starting a new food business is to determine which class of premises is relevant to the businesses proposed activities. The level of compliance for each class is based on the degree of risk associated with the food handling activities.

Purchasing an Existing Food Premises

If you are deciding to purchase an existing food premises, there are a number of steps involved before a food premises registration can be transferred into a new proprietor’s name.

Before purchasing an existing food business, ensure that the business currently has a Food Act 1984 registration with Council’s Environmental Health Unit. If the business does not have a current Food Act registration then you must submit an Application to Register a Food Premises.



Visit Health Victoria - Food Business Classification to determine your business class.

Class 1 and Class 2 Premises require:

Class 4 Premises must complete and reutrn a Notification Application to City of Ballarat Customer Service.


Temporary and Mobile Food Premises

Visit Health Victoria - Food trucks, vans and markets to see if you are a temporary and mobile food premise.

As a mobile/temporary business you must register with Streatrader and apply to the CIty of Ballarat for permission to sell food offsite.

Streatrader guides you through the process until you’re ready to lodge your application.


Food Sampling

The Food Act 1984 requires the City of Ballarat to obtain and test food samples to determine if the food produced in the municipality is safe and suitable for human consumption. Visit Health Victoria - Food Sampling for more details. In addition, the City of Ballarat regularly takes part in regional and state-wide food sampling surveys coordinated by the Department of Health.



Applying for a Food Act Registration

Your premises plan must include:

  • The layout of all fixtures, fittings and equipment; and
  • Provide a description of materials to be used for surface finishes including walls, floors and bench tops

Indicate locations of waste disposal area, bin wash area, storage areas and toilets.

A copy of your premises plans should be submitted to this office prior to commencement of construction works. An Environmental Health Officer will assess these plans and provide you with advice as to if the proposed plans are consistent with minimum requirements.

Additional approvals may also be required therefore below are some of the other units and organisations that contact should be made with when considering opening a new business. Please note this is not an exhaustive list.


Organisation Reason

Statutory Planning
Ph: 5320 5500

Town planning advice including parking and signage.

Building Department
Ph: 5320 5500

Building enquiries and toilet requirements

Local laws
Ph: 5320 5500

Permits and advice on Local laws particularly relating to advertising signs on footpaths and footpath dining

Rates Office
Ph: 5320 5500

To discuss what rates and charges are likely to apply.

Central Highlands Water
Ph: 5320 3100

For advice on water supply, trade waste agreements and grease traps

Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC)
Ph: 1300 300 630

For advice on business name registration

Once plans have been approved from Environmental Health and other organisations, you can commence construction work. After construction has been completed you will need to contact the Environmental Health Unit to organise an initial inspection before commencing trade.

After the registration is processed you will be sent a certificate of registration. Registration is required to be renewed every 12 months from the date of the initial registration and random inspections will be carried out by Environmental Health Officers during the year.

Registering a Home Kitchen

Home occupation food premises wanting to register under the Food Act 1984 often present challenges as many domestic kitchens do not meet the stringent requirements for a commercial operation.

To be able to determine whether or not a home kitchen is up to the requirements of the Food Act there are a number of steps that can be taken to determine this:

  • Determine what type of food you are wanting to prepare/make/sell
  • Submit a new business registration form
  • Provide a detailed floor plan of the kitchen as part of the application, including the layout of all fixtures, fittings and equipment; a description of materials to be used for surface finishes including walls, floors and bench tops; food storage areas; and any bathrooms/toilets/laundry off the kitchen area. An Environmental Health Officer will asses the floor plan with written assessment identifying any areas that may require alteration or improvement.
  • Once all areas of the kitchen are adequate, contact the Environmental Health Unit to organise an initial new business inspection.
  • At the completion of the application form, the appropriate fee and initial inspection conducted by an Environmental Health Officer, a registration certificate will be issued providing all the criteria has been met. Trade will then be able to commence.

The Food Act premises construction guideline will provide the necessary information for starting up a food business. Information that you may need to consider prior to operation will include:

  • Provision of a separate dedicated hand wash basin
  • Appropriate identification and separation of products and equipment for commercial use and private/domestic use
  • Meeting the cleaning & sanitising requirements (of the construction guideline)
  • Appropriate transportation of products
  • Appropriate labelling of products including a nutritional panel, further information can be found at the FSANZ Food Standards website
  • Contact Council’s planning, building and local laws to determine what permits you may require from them.

Depending on your Food Act registration class, you may be required to obtain aFood Safety Supervisor qualification and a Food Safety Program or Guide. 


Transferring a Food Business

For all transfers of existing registered food premises, an Application to Transfer Form must be completed and returned to Council with the appropriate payment prior to taking over the business.

An Environmental Health Officer will then conduct a transfer inspection to assess the premises for compliance under the Food Act 1984 and Food Standards Code. Follow up inspections will be conducted to ensure all items from the transfer inspection have been remedied.

A transfer of a new proprietor and Certificate of Registration cannot be issues until:

  • An application form has been lodged and the appropriate fee paid; and
  • An inspection of the premise has been conducted. 

Note: New proprietors who commence trading without transferring the premise registration are committing an offence under the Food Act 1984. This may lead to enforcement action being taken.