Cultural Heritage Plans (CHMP)


Cultural Heritage Management Plans (CHMPs) are a way of protecting and managing Aboriginal cultural heritage while allowing development to proceed.  If a CHMP is required, a planning permit cannot be issued until the CHMP has been prepared and approved by the relevant Registered Aboriginal Party.  

A Cultural Heritage Management Plan is required if: 

  • all or part of the subject of the proposed development is in an area of cultural heritage sensitivity – land within 200m of a named waterway - that has not previously been significantly disturbed; and
  • all or part of the activity is a high impact activity.  Examples of high impact activities include certain construction or building works and subdivisions into three or more lots if a dwelling may be constructed on each of the lots.

A  Cultural Heritage Management Plan is not required for exempt activities, such as building alterations, demolitions or removals; extensions to a dwelling; construction of one or two dwellings; construction of buildings ancillary to a dwelling such as a storage shed, garage, pool, fence or water tank; certain emergency works; subdivision of an existing building; sea–bed development and minor works.

To find out if your property is located in a cultural heritage sensitivity area, create a Planning Property Report by using the DPCD planning maps service.       

Aboriginal Heritage Planning Tool

A simple way in which to check whether a Cultural Heritage Management Plan is required for a proposed activity is to use the Aboriginal heritage planning tool and follow the prompts. 

The following guidance notes may be found at the Department of Premier and Cabinet website:

  • Practice Note: Significant Ground Disturbance Information Sheet
  • Guide to preparing a CHMP
  • Cultural Heritage Information Sheet

 The Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006and the Planning Permit Process, October 2013 - Practice Note 45

How can I find a Cultural Heritage Advisor?

A list of Cultural Heritage Advisors can be found by visiting the Department of Premier and Cabinet website. 



Visit our YouTube ChannelYouTube Snaps of Our City On InstagramInstagram Follow Us On TwitterTwitter Like Our Facebook Page and Stay UpdatedFacebook