Owner-Builder Laws


Changes to the owner-builder application

From 1 July 2014, domestic building work costing more than $16,000 (previously $12,000) requires domestic building insurance that will cover costs up to $300,000 (previously $200,000) to fix structural defects for six years, and non-structural defects for two years.

What is a Certificate of Consent?

A Certificate of Consent is an individual's written approval to act as an owner-builder on their own land in the State of Victoria.

Owners who intend to apply for a building permit for domestic building work as an owner-builder must provide to the relevant building surveyor a Certificate of Consent issued by the Victorian Building Authority.

What is the new process for owner-builders?

From 1 July 2014 owner-builders must:

  • Print a copy of the Owner-builder Information and Education Kit from the Victorian Building Authority Website
  • Read and complete the application form and statutory declaration contained in the Owner-builder Information and Education Kit  
  • Attach the application fee $98.12.
  • Attach a copy of a current driver's licence or passport (as proof of identity)
  • Send or deliver the completed application, with any supporting document to:

    By mail: Victorian Building Authority, PO Box 536, Melbourne VIC 3001

    In person: Victorian Building Authority, Goods Shed North 733 Bourke Street, Docklands VIC 3008