1838: Lake Wendouree was originally a shallow reedy swamp set on a rich alluvial
flat teaming with wildlife including kangaroos, emus, wombats, dingos and a wide variety of cockatoos and parrots.
The nomadic Wadawurrung people from the Kulin tribe camped by the swamp during summer months.
Scottish settler William Cross Yuille erects a hut at the edge of the 'Black Swamp', the swamp soon becomes known as 'Yuille's Swamp'.
The name Wendouree comes from the aboriginal word 'wendaaree' which means 'go away'. A story is told that when William Yuille asked an aboriginal woman the name of the swamp, her reply was wendaaree. When Ballarat was first surveyed in 1851 by WS Urquhart the swamp was recorded as Wendouree.
1851: A dam was built across the Lake and the bank was raised several times higher to provide Ballarat with a permanent supply of water.
1858: A pipe was laid underground from the Lake to the water works in Sturt Street opposite the Town Hall.
Industries were set up around the Lake - blue stone quarries at View Point and St Patrick's Point, two flour mills, a lemonade factory, plant nurseries and four large gold mining companies. Deep leads under the Lake were mined until 1875.
There were thirteen hotels situated around Lake Wendouree. The Lake View Hotel was established in 1875 and is the only one that remains.
1860: An underground pipeline from Kirks Reservoir provided the first constant source of water to 'top up' the Lake's water level.
1864: Members of the Ballarat Rowing Club cut a course through the reeds with scythes in order to hold the first aquatic sports events on the Lake.
1956: Ballarat hosts the rowing, canoeing and kayaking events for the 1956 Olympic Games. The Olympic Precinct at the end of the rowing course pays tribute to the Olympians who competed in Ballarat in 1956 and to Ballarat's Olympic representatives