The 'Open Monument’ recognises the contribution of the Chinese to Ballarat and the surrounding region from 1850 onwards.
The project was supported by the City of Ballarat and commissioned by Sovereign Hill. Internationally-acclaimed Hong Kong-born Australian artist John Young and Times Two Architects delivered the monument.
‘Open Monument’ is a 430 square metre installation consisting of 33 stone panels. The panels are laser-etched with personal accounts and historical images, and are mounted on two large walls that cascade into Len T Fraser Reserve